Hi, I’m John Cooper, comedian, improviser and tutor.
Through character comedy, improvisation and training workshops, I’m fascinated by communication. I’ve performed in hundreds of theatres around the UK and internationally as part of the CSz Manchester improv troupe.
I provide comedy workshops for businesses around the UK, and was a workshop leader in the early days of the BBC New Comedy Awards.
Distance, a comedians life during lockdown
Since lockdown, while the comedy clubs were closed, I’ve been producing a comic strip called Distance. It’s been successfully funded on Kickstarter and you can get it here!
You might have seen me compering at stand up comedy clubs, or performing as Danny Pensive.
- “Uncanny accuracy and unerring honesty” – The List
- “His audience interaction is flawless” – The Skinny
- “Cutting wit…an hour well spent” – Three Weeks
- “An infectious delight” – Fringe Guru
- “Vic and Bob meets Samuel Beckett” – Artsfest
- “Gloriously deadpan and very funny” – South Wales Post
- “A must-go-see comedy highlight” – Buxton Fringe
- “a superb creation…brilliantly done” – BBC
- “Sublime innocence and lateral observation.” – Cheltenham Greenbelt Festival
- “Catch this comic idiot savant before Vic ‘n’ Bob snap him up” – The List
- “There’s more to him than meet the eye” – Three Weeks
- “You could almost imagine Harry Hill doing it” -Ed Byrne
- “The audience cheered him to the rafters.” – Kendal Calling Festival
Shows and Reviews:
Danny Pensive at The Edinburgh Festival:
“During his whistle-stop recollection of a trip around Britain Danny Pensive highlights with uncanny accuracy and unerring honesty the stupidity of places and people. Catch this comic idiot savant before Vic ‘n’ Bob snap him up.”THE LIST
“From Newquay to Aberdeen, from Swansea to Bridlington, Danny Pensive recalls the things that made the places he has been special and memorable. But this is not some excruciating holiday slide-show. His audience interaction is flawless, and he has us laughing from start to finish with his songs and little anecdotes. His delivers each word like a six-year‐old reading aloud. His observations are told with such openness that he is impossible to dislike. The Fringe’s most loveable performer.”The SKINNY
“With his quirky capacity for story telling, Pensive’s unusual and amusing anecdotes let the audience get caught up in his adventure. This “infectious delight” left its mark, along with his listless eccentricities. An afternoon in Pensive’s company is sure to be an hour well spent.”THREE WEEKS
“He slips out some cutting wit, firing out insults like facts he’s looked up on Wikipedia, so then you know that there is more to him than meets the eye… Hilariously sweet, Pensive is a delight to watch, full of amusing observations about British scenery and culture.”FRINGE GURU
- Confessions of a WordPress Fanatic – 2018
- Danny Pensive: Life Coach at Buxton Fringe – 2017
- John Cooper: Pictures of Cats at Leicester Festival. – 2014
- Danny Pensive – Around the world in 80 Howays Leicester Comedy Festival – 2013
- Whatever Happened to the Likely lads, Manchester Fringe – 2012
- Danny Pensive’s Map of Britain (3rd solo show) Edinburgh Fringe. – 2011
- The 30 year itch – Edinburgh Fringe – 2008
- Sketch writer on BBC Radio Newcastle’s Jesting About
- Winner of Cofilmic Sketch Writing Competition
- ITV’s & FHM’s Stand Up Hero.
- SFX weekender convention. 2006
- Tour support for One Man Star Wars. 2007 – 2016
- Appeared on BBC2’s the speaker.
Don’t mistake me for the bard of Salford, John Cooper Clarke. I do live in Salford, but he’s someone else. I’m also not the car manufacturer John Cooper, the rock band singer John Cooper or the Welsh serial killer who appeared on Bullseye.